I’m going to keep this short and sweet, because let’s be honest, if you’re a blogger yourself, you’ve probably read plenty of these write-ups already. And if you’re not a blogger, you probably don’t give a damn that I met a load of other bloggers last weekend. Did you even know that blogging conferences were a thing? I know I didn’t, before I, Beta Mummy, became immersed in this strange, slightly egocentric, very friendly, and exceedingly nutty world.
Anyway, on 25th June 2016 I went to Britmums Live, or #BML16. I’m sure you care very little about the ins and outs of my day and the various talks I went to, so I’m going to keep this very brief, and focus on the peripheral highlights.
- Food and drink – lots of food, including a magical never-ending tapas platter over which I was pleased to “meat” the very nice Papa Tont, one of the extremely outnumbered Dad-bloggers. Loads of cake, tea, and prosecco – it was basically my promised land.
- Lots of freebies, most of which I had no particular use for, but my kids enjoyed raiding my bags when I got home. It was a bit like the Fresher’s Fair at Uni…
- Emma from Island Living 365 won the Fresh Voice category at the awards ceremony, which I was really happy about because I love her blog – it is a magazine blog about life living on Jersey, and is immersive, amusing and just generally gorgeous – I’d definitely recommend taking a look if you haven’t already.
- I met the wonderfully funny #chucklemums (my favourite blog link-up/share) hosts, Sarah aka The Mumzilla, and Fran from Whinge Whinge Wine, as well as dozens of other lovely bloggers – I can’t possibly name them all (sorry, please don’t hate me!) The best part for me was the way that on the whole, people’s writing totally reflects their personality, so sharing a sense of humour on the page meant we had a great laugh “in real life”, too.
- I managed to hunt down the fabulous Jo Sandelson, who I was determined to meet as I so admire her as an artist and all-round funny lady. I was not disappointed, and we had a lovely time getting to know one another. I even plugged her for a few tips of the trade – result!
All in all, it was a great weekend exploring my new hobby and meeting people, putting faces to names. It has whetted my appetite for more of the same, so I’m looking forward to the next one!